Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Getting a Motorcycle

In 1977, my brother, Mark, took me on my first motorcycle ride. At age 12, I was a small frame, especially on his Harley. He let me sit on the tank and gave me control of the throttle and the handlebars.

That was my intro to motorcycle riding.

Since then, I have been hooked. A year later, I bought a Penton, 125 trail bike for $100. I got to ride it about three times, before the kicker stripped out and I had to push start it.

I sold it a year later for $25 after a friend of Mark took the tranny apart and found the gearbox was nothing but shavings. I then owned a minibike that ran like a top until my brother, Dean the Stoner, ran it without oil, and blew the engine.

In 1984, my brother, Mike, gave me his 1984 Honda 400CMT as a graduation present. During the time I owned it, I also owned several cars...all absolute junk...so I had transportation in the winter time. Winter time in Iowa goes from November to March.

I had one car that was decent...a Ford Maverick. I was paying a friend $25 per month, until I could no longer make the payments due to losing my job. Still, my Honda kept running, year after year.

In 1989, I traded the Honda for a '79 Oldsmobile Toronado. It lasted two weeks befor ethe engine caught on fire and got repoed.

My mom let me use her moped.

I found in the local paper a dream bike. A guy had three bikes and his wife said he had to get rid of one before he could buy another. He sold me a 1979 Yamaha 1100, full dress for $700. He let me pay $75 each week, and once it was paid, I rode away with my new bike.

I loved that bike. From 1989 to 1992, it started without fail. It was wonderful.

Until a drunk driver totalled it while it was parked. I wept openly. I tracked down the driver and got paid for the damages.

Instead of getting a new bike, I used the money to move to Annapolis, MD, where I met and married my wife. Even though I desired to get a new bike, she was absolutely scared of the idea.

In 1998, I got a 1994 Mazda Miata, instead of a bike, listening to my wife. Getting the car caused me to lose my job at the Pentagon...long story. Still, it was a reliable car, and only fell apart due to neglect, resulting from making sure my wife's Miata, a twin, was always in peak shape, and not making enough money to maintain two Miatas in top shape.

December 30, 2004, while on a 100 mile drive back from a comedy gig, my Miata's steering column fell in my lap, causing me to crash, totalling the car. It kept me safe, however.

After that, I told my wife, "It does not matter what your opinion is. I am getting a motorcycle. I doubt I will ever buy another car." Knowing my determination, she did not question it.

Financially, we hit some bumps, which has prevented me from getting a bike right away.

That is why I now am working a second job. Since we can get by with our current income, the second income will now go directly to paying for my new motorcycle.

I wanted a Harley, but the word is that the current Harleys are name and image, and not really high quality. So, I am setting my sites on getting a 2005 Kawasaki 1500, full dress. It is one third the cost of a Harley, and I expect I will own it until the frame rusts out from under me; so, loss of sale value is of no matter to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home