Monday, November 14, 2005

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays

Retailers are now using Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. They are hoping that the PC idea will attract more people.

HUH?

I don't recall the big After Thanksgiving Channukah Sales attracting a lot of Jewish people...Except maybe at the Volvo dealer.

I don't see the big rush to buy Kwanzaa presents, except bags of lima beans at Trader Joes.

The PC attitude of retailers is helping me realize that Christmas is about Jesus and that presents are of no importance to me. I must thank them for that. It also means I won't be buying as much this year and may continue to buy less each year as I wean myself from the "gotta get this" attitude.

Perhaps, if I need to get presents, I will wait until December 26 and buy the leftovers and returns at half the price.

I am making this promise. If I can buy an item from two stores, I will use the Christmas Quotient to determine where I will purchase it.

1 point: Christmas trees are displayed as Christmas trees
-1 point: Christmas tree are referred to as Holiday trees

-1 point: For each XMAS reference I come across.

5 points: Christmas music is piped over the Muzak system
15 points: the Christmas music actually has something to do with Jesus
Sub-set of points:
+1 point for each Jesus-centered song
-1 point for each Santa-centered song
0 points for any Christmas song about being home for Christmas or anything from the Nutcracker
0 points for "Little Drummer Boy"
-15 points for each time I hear "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree"

15 points: The words Merry Christmas are prominently displayed as I walk into the store
-15 points: Each display that says, "Happy Holidays"

45 points: I am met at the door by a greeter who says, "Merry Christmas!"
-50 points: I am met by a greeter or any other store employee who says, "Happy Holidays" and will deduct this for each occurrence

In case Walmart, Target, Kohl's, Macy's or any other retailer is reading this, I PREFER "MERRY CHRISTMAS".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home