Thursday, October 08, 2009

Craftiness through observation - Thanks Mom!

I remember my mom making bib overalls for my little brother and me. I was 5 or 6.

She couldn't afford a pattern. Instead, she found and old pair, torn and discarded, that she took all the stitching out of. Then she bought the toughest jean material she could find.

She laid out the pieces from her "pattern" on the material and cut out pieces for my overalls, and did the same for my little brother, only slightly smaller.

They lasted us about 12 months before we outgrew them. My little brother then got mine as hand-me-downs...he hated that.

I started getting thrift store bought clothes...which I hated because in 1974, i was wearing stuff out of date in 1965! But my brother was envious that I got clothes bought at a store.
I think this is why he started eating a lot..to be so big that my skinny kid hand me downs could not fit his fatty kid body.

Her skills in crafting were handed down to me...I guess through osmosis and observation because I never helped her make stuff. I just watched.
Now, I make all kinds of crafty things.

Recently, I made leather arm bands with tribal tatoos because I refuse to sully my beautiful body with someone's fallible artwork. I'll post them when I get a picture of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home