Monday, September 20, 2004

An Evening at Pop's

This weekend, my wife and I took a sorely needed vacation to Ocean City, MD. Most places in Ocean City cost $125 or more. We found a really nice hotel for $75 per night. It doesn't have a microwave, or an in-room hair dryer, but it has a bed, and the doors lock. Not many younger people stay there because of the lack of the extras, so it is always nice and quiet. The coolest part is that it is on the boardwalk and you can wake up to the sun rising over the ocean.

We needed the time away. I studied my comedy material, and my wife just relaxed on the balcony. The breeze was nice and the temperature was cool. It was so relaxing. We slept more over the past four days than we have over hte past two weeks.

Unfortunately for me, the residue from Florida's hurricanes made the waves choppy. The waves were solid, rising 4-6 feet, but they were unpredictable and too frequent to ride. A couple times, people gathered as some foolhardy surfer needed to be pulled out of the incessant turmoil.

Saturday, we walked the boardwalk. A few blocks down, I found a neat little shop, "Pop's Joke Shop". My wife and I went in. It was definately a tight squeeze. It was more crowded than my old bachelor apartment. Wall-to-wall gag toys. I wanted one of every thing, but I settled for a shocking stapler. It shocks the user as they press the tongs together to staple a paper. It holds quite a jolt. I also got a pen that looks like a hypodermic needle. I have always thought they were cool.

Pop's is a street comedian. His material is similar to Jay London's. The one-liner comic. He differs from Jay London in that instead of the "Please Like Me" attitude, Pop has a "Old Fart" attitude. He performs outside his shop after closing for the day. He works for tips. He offered to let me perform my routine and would split the tips.

Unfortunately, it rained. The customers stayed in their rooms and Pop closed early. I look forward to next year. I hope next summer, I can perform with him. Just the experience will be worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home