Monday, July 12, 2004

A Problem with Racism

A problem with racism is that if it ever became completely unacceptable to judge someone on race, the judgemental person would find something else would find something else to exclude someone.

We can't include that person because:
He's a guy.
He's too old.
She's from New York.
She would be the only one with brown hair.
He went to West High School.
He's a Fundamental Baptist.
She's too fat.

Get the idea?

I have a good friend who married a lady from China. She has said that not only do many Asians look at other Asian cultures as inferior and judge based on it, in China, they judge based on what province and city you are from!

I submit this to you, we should not judge based on physical traits, but rather on past action and current attitude. You can judge character by what a person has done in the past. It is still possible to change, but if in the past, you were convicted of robbery and you still feel you did nothing wrong, you can fairly be judged, and people will not trust you.

Unfortunately, judgement based on categorizing a physical trait comes from identifying a common character trait of that physical trait. An example: You would judge that an overweight man would not want to exercise with you, but, Chris Farley was overweight, and he was a very physically active man. So judging him by his weight is unfair, but judging him on his party lifestyle was completely fair.

My experience of being a victim of racism:
I grew up ion Iowa. Although it is characterized as a hotbed of racism, that has not been the case since the late 60's. Of course, there are isolated examples everywhere. I had not exeperienced racism, as perp nor victim, despite having grown up in a predominantly black area. I did not suffer judgement based on color, but I received plenty based on my family's financial situation.

Anyway, I moved to Washington, DC in 1992. My wife and I went downtown to see the sights. While on the Metro train, I put my arm around her. The seats being back to back, I accidentally bumped the man behind us. The man said, "Hey! Watch it WHITE BOY!" I was stunned. This was my first exposure to anyone judging based on color.

It's incredible. In Waterloo, Iowa, people are judged based on character. In the hotbed of liberal thought, racism permeates EVERYTHING!

While I am on that, I hate the fact that Washington, DC is making so many laws to correct injustices that are prevalent here, and apply them to the entire nation! Unfortunately, many actions taken to justify wrongs here only make it a greater problem in areas where there was no problem. Here, maybe quotas are needed because of the racial attitudes. But, In Waterloo, Iowa, the quotas cause resentment because someone was singled out for a job based on a racial advantage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home